- Call Now
- Download Brochure
Graduate Certificate, Graduate Dipolma and Masters unit
This unit provides an understanding of the role that accounting plays in various aspects of managerial and financial decision-making. It focuses on how profit and financial health are measured in a business context, and how the major financial statements on business performance, financial position and cash flows are constructed.
The emphasis is on how the outputs of the accounting process may be interpreted and used in organisations. The ethical aspects of accounting practices will also be examined.
This unit will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to accounting and the role of accounting information for managerial decision-making
- Corporate governance and ethics
- Financial reports – usage and limitations
- Activity Based Costing (ABC): a tool to aid decision-making
- Analyse and interpret financial statements using key ratios to assess profitability, liquidity and risk
- Management accounting: a strategic perspective
- Strategic management and management accounting information and performance measures
- Fixed and variable costs, functions and analyses
- The budget process, types of budgets
- Accounting for decision-making
- Capital investment decisions.
- Analyse and critically evaluate the role that accounting information plays in business decision-making, recognising financial information relevant to particular business decisions
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the role of financial and non-financial measures in performance evaluation of both the business unit and managers
- Demonstrate an ability to work both independently and as a team member in gathering, analysing and presenting financial data
- Analyse and interpret financial reports, and calculate ratios in order to assess business performance from year to year
- Apply the basic principles of accrual-based accounting to a given transaction data-set
- Demonstrate financial and accounting decision making consistent with an advanced level of ethical and cultural awareness
- Construct a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement, and explain the relationships that underpin the preparation and cogency of these reports.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your Excelsia Online student advisor on 1300 917 916 for more information based on your particular circumstances.