- Call Now
- Download Brochure
Graduate Diploma and Masters unit
Strategically managed, Information Technology (IT) and Information Systems (IS) are vital elements of business efficacy. This unit aims to provide an understanding of the major issues facing managers in the effective use of information technology and the importance of aligning IT and IS with business strategy and goals.
The topics that will be covered in this unit include:
- Overview of computer-based information systems in organisations and the impact IS on organisations
- Organisational strategy, competitive advantage and information systems
- Data and knowledge management
- Telecommunications and networking, the internet and the 'world wide web'
- Business intelligence (BI) - applications for data analysis and decision-making, corporate performance management
- Ethical issues in IT and IS
- Social and mobile computing
- E-business and e-commerce, including ethical and legal issues in e-business
- Information systems within organisations
- Operational customer relationship management (CRM) systems
- IT for supply chain and value chain management
- Acquiring IT and IS for an organisation, systems development lifecycle.
- Demonstrate an advanced and critical understanding of the nature, role and contribution of information, information systems and information technology and the information/knowledge resources in local, national and global business environments
- Demonstrate an advanced, critical appreciation of importance of sound information management practice within organisations, and the outcomes that it can deliver
- Analyse and explain the major issues in the delivery of information systems services and solutions, including the acquisition of products and services, including the issues involved in the build versus buy, building relationships with vendors and suppliers, decision making with respect to outsourcing and offshoring
- Identify and evaluate the business benefits and risks of specific information systems and technologies in an organisational context
- Analyse organisational information systems and technology plans and assess their alignment with business plans to ensure the attainment of corporate objectives, and to clearly demonstrate the value of the IS and IT resources in an organisation
- Exhibit an advanced level of awareness of the ethical and regulatory aspects of information management
- Assess the importance and implications of the internet and electronic commerce in contemporary organisations, especially from the perspective of supply chain and demand chain information systems in times of change.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your Excelsia Online student advisor on 1300 917 916 for more information based on your particular circumstances.