- Call Now
- Download Brochure
This unit is designed to help students to conduct effective research and analysis in real workplace situations, and to apply key concepts of qualitative and quantitative methodologies to research and assessments in other units.
Students will learn how to define and scope problems so that they may be investigated in a methodical and valid fashion –particularly, how to prepare research proposals, conduct literature reviews, select and justify relevant research methodologies.
Areas of study include:
- Types of research, issues in business research
- Designing research: using theoretical and research constructs
- The research question
- Sources and evaluation of information
- Qualitative methods and instruments
- Quantitative methods and instruments research
- Sampling and data collection
- Methods for obtaining adequate samples and relevant data
- Qualitative data analysis
- Lack of standardised methods
- Quantitative analyses: presenting and describing quantitative data
- Data preparation and presentation
- The normal distribution
- Quantitative analyses: estimation and comparisons
- Using statistical inference
- Sampling distributions
- Quantitative analyses: Linear relationships among variables
- Linear relationship between two variables
- Revision: writing the report
- Purpose and audience.
- Demonstrate a critical appreciation of the major steps involved in conducting research
- Demonstrate an extended and consolidated understanding of various business research designs and methods, and be able to evaluate and explain their strengths and weaknesses in research designs for particular projects
- Demonstrate a critical appreciation of complex ethical issues in research and an advanced understanding of appropriate procedures and protocols applicable to these issues
- Critically review, interrogate and evaluate research literature
- Design research for a particular project, explaining the limitations, advantages, and technical and ethical implications of the techniques employed
- Select, justify and design questions suitable for a survey instrument and be able to analyse survey data in relation to a particular research question
- Prepare a formal research proposal investigating an innovative and/or unresolved research question.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your Excelsia Online student advisor on 1300 917 916 for more information based on your particular circumstances.