- Call Now
- Download Brochure
The Australian Curriculum and the Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians (2008) emphasise values such as excellence, equity, confidence and success. This unit explores the ways in which these values influence curriculum development, accountability, and the application and assessment of curriculum in specific educational contexts.
Students will look at the concepts of rigour and relevance in depth with topics of study including:
- 21st century knowledge and skills for rigour and relevance
- Rigour: curriculum and the child
- Higher order thinking
- Rigour and relevance: Questioning strategies and Marzano’s Instruction
- Relevance: Curriculum and planning
- Rigour: Curriculum and assessment
- Curriculum: Tying together rigour and relevance.
Students take a close look at the ways in which a biblical worldview influences the delivery of a rigorous and accountable curriculum. They also consider the unique role faith-based schools often play in providing excellence and equity through early childhood education and higher student outcomes for disadvantaged youth.
Dr Garry Gannell, Adjunct Lecturer
- Identify 21st century knowledge and skills as these represent the global perspective, designing or adapting K-12 curriculum frameworks to ensure that students can demonstrate knowledge and skills as readiness for both college and the workplace
- Address rigour and relevance in their curriculum and pedagogical knowledge to create learning opportunities
- Extend awareness of ways in which P-12 curriculum can become more rigorous and relevant by adapting for higher order thinking skills and assisting others in this as a Teacher Leader
- Explore the ways in which educators can extend Jesus’ teachings into 21st century learning environments
- Review and refine personal or professional mission or philosophy statements based on information from the curriculum course.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your Excelsia Online student advisor on 1300 917 916 for more information based on your particular circumstances.